Saturday, May 2, 2009

You Load 20 Tons and What Do You Get?

I guess I'm just a really bad judge of size and volume, but does this look like 20 tons of topsoil to you? I was expecting a pile twice this size. So you can imagine my disappointment when the 2 ton pile of granite screening was dumped next to this pile of topsoil. I'm sure I'll have to order more. Oh well. (Notice the usual Austin antics as he pretends he is falling off the pile. Also, Audrey lost her flip flops on the trip up Topsoil Mountain.)
So all that dirt is waiting to be put into the jardin de potager, which is waiting for the fence to be put in, which fence is waiting for the dang fence companies to hurry up and get me the estimates already. Meanwhile, the grass (and I use that term loosely) is starting to grow back.

But in the meantime, at least I get to enjoy the plants already installed. Actually this mystery rose just started growing a couple of years ago. It's in a bad spot and I'll have to move it this fall, but it's actually got a few blooms this year. It gets no direct sun where it is now, so I'm surprised it bloomed at all. Doesn't it look great next to our blue house? You know that's the reason I picked blue right? All flowers look great against a blue house. Seriously. That's why I picked that blue. No I am not crazy. Well, not completely. Give it time.
And of course, no gardening post of mine would be complete without at least mentioning my favorite Lady Banks rose. It is definitely past its peak now (frown) but it was a glorious blooming season while it lasted. Here our Fletch Memorial cat figurine is enjoying the blooms too. (Fletch is our orange tabby that died about 5 years ago.)
Can't do much potager work in the garden today without knowing where the fence will be so I guess we'll just work elsewhere. Cleaning up the firepit, cutting the grass, pruning a wooded pathway. Yeah. We've got enough work to do today. When the time comes to install pathways, bed borders, and topsoil I think we'll be doing a lot of life skill math in homeschool that week!

No comments:

Post a Comment