Saturday, February 13, 2010

Catching Up: Cakes and such

Okay, so it's been three months since I've blogged anything, but who's counting? Things have piled up in blogland so here's an attempt at catching up some. Theme: cakes and such.

Below: Audrey made a cake for a baby shower and got paid for it. Mom helped a little, but here's the final product.Below: Austin chose an unconventional birthday cake for his 11th birthday.....a GIANT Kris Kringle. For those who are unlucky enough NOT to be acquainted with these delectable treats, they are Rice Krispie treat-like but with peanut butter instead of marshmallow, and are topped with a mouth-watering combination of butterscotch and semisweet chocolate chips. The confetti sprinkles are mimicked on this one by some leftover fondant.
MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........


One of our Christmas traditions is to make a cookie train. This came from the time as a Young Woman when I made a cookie train at one of my leader's homes. I have fond memories of that, so now I do it with my kids.



You probably can't see too well, but if you look closely there are tiny footprints in the icing snow. We used a Barbie boot to do that. I think that was my favorite part.


Below: My Cake Wreck birthday cake
Rick threw a surprise 40th birthday party for me. He did such a great job with all of it. The cake was carrot cake, my favorite, and was decorated in true Cake Wreck style (don't know what that is? Check out the blog). You'd probably have to get familiar with that blog before you "get" the cake. But trust me....it's PERFECT!!! Best birthday cake I've ever gotten.


Below: Audrey chose a cheesecake for her 14th birthday. Here she is blowing out her candles with Henry.
Below: My dad "commissioned" me to do a Barbershopper of the Year cake for the 2009 recipient of the award. It was presented this past week at his chorus' Valentine dinner. Bartow is the recipient's first name.

It's mostly fondant, with a tad bit of buttercream decor. The heads are all made from fondant.



Below: While I was making the barbershop cake, Audrey worked on this smaller cake. We gave it to my parents since they just got back from their umpteenth cruise.

I love the little orange lifeboats!

Okay, working on more posts............

1 comment: